You may be surprised that Technology as a stand alone item is not one of them.
Our future is not about shinier flying saucers.
We will master and implement whatever technologies are developed.
But our future is being impacted by these 7 items today:
- Loss of experienced workers taking tribal and craftsman knowledge out of our shops.
- Lower average wages as experienced workers with seniority leave and younger workers start at trainee wages, making it difficult to attract talent with facts about “increasing wages”- even though they are.
- Training growing in percent of spend as many shops are unable to purchase new technology to quote new work because they do not have trained workforce.
- More and more jobs being quoted out of more challenging, non free machining materials;
- A bit of relief from new regulations, but more uncertainty as Washington turns to trade issues which can impact availability and cost of imported materials, and tooling, as well as impact the exports of finished goods that contain our parts.
- Increasing demands for certification of production to a wide variety of customer demanded requirements regardless of legal obligations- Conflict Minerals, REACH, RoHS, Animal- Free; Ca. Prop 65. Etc.
- Possibility of an “Association Healthcare Insurance solution” in 2019 or beyond.
What do you see as the trends shaping our company and industry future?
Please don’t say technology- as Humans, we’ve been successfully implementing new technologies for quite some time.